Thursday, December 9, 2010

Pregnancy Week 28: Unplanned Rest Day & Cheat Meal

I intended to do a strengthening workout with kettlebells this morning, but went to sleep way too late and woke multiple times during the night thinking that I had been awake the entire time... Pregnancy sleep is, oftentimes, an oxymoron!

Activity: Rest Day

Breakfast: 2 sunnyside up Omega-3 eggs w/ 1/2 avocado and 1/2 tomato
4 ounces Monavie w/ glucosamine

Lunch: Leftover Salmon chowder and brussels sprouts
1 slice Pumelo
2 squares Hershey's Intense Dark chocolate 72%

Dinner: Unplanned cheat meal!
My parents treated Asher and me to dinner at a Japanese restaurant. I ordered the Chilean Sea Bass, thinking that the description of the entree would fit the Paleo diet. I thought I was ordering a filet with a side of salad, miso soup and rice (I planned to pass on the soup and rice).....but I got something entirely different! My entree was sea bass covered in some sort of creamy crabmeat/fish balls mixture on top of a few stalks of asparagus on a bed of white sushi rice w/ seaweed. There was decorative creamy-something all over the plate as well (those who know me know that I am not a "creamy-food" person: for example, I don't like Ranch dressing, mayonnaise, or alfredo sauce, so you can imagine how I felt when I saw the entree!). Artistic, but not what I had envisioned based on the menu description! After some internal wrestling over consuming this meal, I decided to make things easier for everyone, especially after the hectic day we'd all had, and eat the darn thing. Dad gave me his grilled salmon and one slice of steak also.
*****
Initially, when I started the Paleo diet, it was to support Adam in his quest to become healthier, feel, look and function better. I didn't think gluten made me feel badly and I loved pasta, bread, and cheese! After two weeks of eating Paleo, I remember claiming that I felt no different. However, after every cheat meal (we've had 4 so far...5 including today), I am reminded how different I actually do feel when I eat Paleo-style! I can stuff myself (stomach space is prime real estate in this pregnant mama!)--thought it doesn't take much these days--with Paleo-type foods and not feel uncomfortably full, bloated, gassy. At the end of a Paleo-meal, I just find that I'm not hungry anymore. Contrast that with how I feel after I eat grains or dairy....bloated, painfully full, and gassy! (I used to think being bloated at the end of the workday was typical and something to be expected, so prior to eating Paleo, I thought my sensations were all normal!) It's amazing how we can trudge along day by day doing the same things we've always done and claim that we feel "fine", not knowing that if we were to tweak things here and there, or try something totally different, we might discover how much better we might feel, look and function! I'm sticking with this Paleo thing!!

No comments: