Saturday, November 13, 2010

Pregnancy Week 24: Bodyweight and KB strengthening

This was the perfect workout following a night of pregnancy-wakefulness and teething toddler! It follows Mike Mahler's 5 Pillars of KB Training :
1 upper body pull
1 upper body push
1 lower body pull
1 lower body push
core

Activity:
Bodyweight pullups (narrow and wide grip) 4x4
KB military press (14 kg*) 10x5
KB swings (14 kg) 10x60
Multi-directional lunges (14 kg) 10x5
Sideplanks, advanced (hip & shoulder abduction with non-weightbearing leg)10x18

*Since I started KB training in 2006, I have used the 12 kg as my go-to weight for most movements. Naturally, over the years, I began incorporating heavier weights during Swing training, TGUs and Renegade Rows, but the 12 kg was still my favorite weight (ie most challenging for the movement/repetitions). During my first trimester of this pregnancy, swinging the 12 kg just seemed too easy, so I started using the 16 kg with lower volume. As the pregnancy continued, and my pelvic joints got looser, using the 16 kg started becoming uncomfortable. So, a few weeks ago, we got the new KB sizes, 14 and 10 kg! Originally, I intended to use the 14 kg (in the post-partum period after my joints have "tightened up"...so, a long long time from now!) to improve my L arm pressing strength, and the 10 kg for KB training into the third trimester and in the "early" post-partum period. Well, as you can see from the workouts of the last week or so, I just couldn't stay away....I love the 14 kg! It's just the right challenge for me at this time.

Breakfast:
something was just "off" about today; I was hungry but had no appetite. There was no way I was going to make, much less, eat a "healthy" vegetable-fruit drink!!
2 sunnyside up Omega 3 eggs with 1/4 avocado
1/2 Fuyu persimmon

Lunch:
(yes, I made myself eat it, reluctantly)
Spinach salad w/ 1/4 avocado, 1 diced tomato, balsamic vinegar & olive oil

Snack:
3 slices Cranberry walnut bread

Dinner:
1 tilapia filet with taco seasoning
1 serving sauteed squash
1 honeycrisp apple
1 slice Cranberry walnut bread
4 ounces Mona-vie w/ glucosamine

Fluid:
(yes, I had to empty my bladder every 5 minutes all day long)
9 cups water

No comments: